Season 1 Episode 4: #Oscars So White
There’s not a single internet cruising individual that hasn’t encountered this year’s #OscarsSoWhite controversy. In our special Oscar episode, we bring in three guests to do a recap and analysis of what turned out to be an #OscarSoAwkward and #OscarsApologizes evening.
Journalist Sana Malik, pop culture aficionado Angelica Suorineni and filmmaker Adam Garnet Jones engage in a thoughtful debate and provide critical answers to such questions as what is the problem with this year’s nomination list? What actions are needed to make real change? Are the Oscars even relevant anymore?
There’s lots of reading material on the subject, but here are a few select links that guarantee a good read:
- The Guardian: How to fix Hollywood’s race problem
- The New York Times: What It’s Really Like to Work in Hollywood
- CBC: Is a boycott the solution to #OscarsSoWhite
- The Globe and Mail: #OscarsSoWhite: Why diversity at the movies matters
- .Mic: The Oscars’ Decision to Diversify Membership Is Groundbreaking, Shocking and Necessary
- CBC The Current: Why diversity of Oscar nominees matters beyond Hollywood
- The Guardian: The Revenant is Meaningless Pain Porn